Thursday, August 10, 2006

A Mormon kiddush Hashem


Apparently, SG (me) makes quite the impressions wherever she goes..... sometimes even a good one!

Last year I went to Utah for a hiking trip with a good friend. Along the way I learned that I am in fact very Jewish, definitely not a Mormon and did I mention very Jewish?

I was in a store in a town called zion ( I shold have known!) and the counter person was crying, she had a splinter and couldn't get it out. DR SG to the rescue, surely this was my expertise ( I had seen it on ER once) I quickly took out the splinter. Her eyes lit up and I knew what was coming next "A healer is in our midst" "lord our God has saved me". She turned to me and said, "you are a good mormon and will be rewarded for your kind deed." She gave me a pair of earings as payment. I felt guilty, I am not a mormon.... here was a chance for a kidush Hashem, "I am not a mormorn, but I believe in God too, I am Jewish" . "a hebrew?" she asked? "Like out of the bible"...
well I explained a little, and how we no longer wander in the dessert, but in Utah on vacations.
she gave me a book of Mormon and smiled, "you are a good people".

Looks like we Jews made an impact in good old Utah. Seems that the church of later day saints ( mormon) has a famous phrase "CTR-choose the right" ( about choosing a path in life etc...)
well to make things hip, they have printed hoodies and baseball hats with the phrase CTR, and of all letters, they chose, biblical Hebrew script to spell the English acronym C.T.R.!!!! ok, the letters are a little meshuganeh, but hey...

I guess they have a double message to get across
Choose the right, choose Hashem!!! hah!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home