Thursday, July 13, 2006

Where's the cat?


Last night I remembered one of the reasons why I love my job.

I was on the all night pediatric ER shift again (as I have been all month, which basically makes me an antisocial vampire, but who's complaining)
an eight year old boy comes in for high blood pressure and belly pain. I was seeing 6 patients in the ER at a time and didn't have the chance to go into my usual song and dance routine of " the neck bones connected to the...etc.."
I walked into his room ( really a curtain around a stretcher) and blurted out, OK, soon you will be having the cat-scan to see your kidneys.

the boy perks up and says:
"I love cats! But why do you need one to see these?" and points to his knees.
it took me a few seconds,
Kids-knees--> kidneys!

hah,
we got a good laugh.

and if you are wondering, his kidneys looked OK. We gave him some Vasotec and sent him to outpatient cardiology and nephrology.

P.S.
on a side note, his parents were just so thankful, which btw, doesn't happen that often. Back in the old day, doctors were appreciated.
Readers if you are pleased with your doctor, tell them sometimes. They could use a little TLC too.

SG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home